You are human and the computer is a machine. Both can fail at any time. You may delete any file accidentally. The system may fail or the hard drive may become corrupt. In all three cases, you stand to lose valuable data. You should know how to recover such lost data. The most common operating systems are Windows and Mac OS X. We shall now see the methods of data recovery in each of these operating systems.
– Check Recycle bin: Usually the deleted files go into the Recycle bin. You can open the recycle bin, right click on the name of the file, and choose the ‘Restore’ option. The file will come back to its original location.
– Stop accessing the drive: In case you do not find the file in the recycle bin, you should not save or delete anything from your computer. This increases your chances of recovering the file.
– Use a data recovery program: You should make use of such programs to recover your lost files. You can download these programs from the internet. However, you should not save the recovery program on the drive you wish to recover data from: save it to a drive unaffected by data loss.
– Specify your search: Point the recovery program at the disk the file was on before deletion. You can specify a file name or get a list of all recoverable files.
– Scan your computer: Performing a deep scan of your computer can help you recover the data.
– Browse for your file: Once the scan returns the results, you should browse for your file. You can restore most of the files in this manner.
• Mac OS:
– Trash: Check your trash box for the accidentally deleted file. You can restore the file from this location easily.
– Do not access the drive: Once the files are lost, you should immediately stop saving or deleting anything on your computer. You will be able to recover the lost data before you overwrite the file.
– Download a data recovery program: This is the best way to recover any lost files.
– Boot the computer: Some recovery programs require a system reboot to enable recovery of the deleted files.
– Connect a Recovery drive: When using Mac OS, you should connect a USB drive and use it as the destination for the recovered files.
– Specify scan settings: You can do a quick scan or a deep scan. A deep scan may take time. As such, you should do the quick scan first. In case you do not recover the file, you can always do the deep scan.
– Select the recoverable files: Once the scan is over, you can select the recoverable files from the screen. However, you should use the preview option to check if the recovery is complete.
– Complete the data recovery: In case you have to recover a large number of files, you should recover the essential files first. This can avoid corruption of your important files.
This is the process for recovering lost files in both Windows and Mac OS.